February 1, 2012
By Larry Harris
• Déjà Vu All Over Again: So Jim Irsay cans his front office guys and hires a new general manager, then fires the coach and all his staff and reportedly will soon trash a supreme quarterback who may not be able to play at his accustomed level -- or even play at all. Didn't all this exactly happen in 1972 when another guy named Irsay was running the show in a place called Baltimore? Just wait 'til Jimmer puts in a call to the Mayflower trucks!
• It's So Corporate: Good to see the Ravens are following in the footprints of other great USA businesses: If there is a doubtful area, just lay on another level of management and say how happy everyone is with the adjustment.
• How Mighty Have Fallen: Only three seasons ago, Villanova edged Pittsburgh during one of college basketball's great thrillers to earn a spot in the Final Four. When the two meet Sunday, the teams will be playing for 13th place with identical 3-7 records in the Big East.
• Ah, There He Is: There's a Jordan Williams sighting. The big guy who jumped to the NBA from Maryland just returned to the New York Nets roster after a session in the D League. But no chance of his earning a regular rotation spot yet.
• Show Them The Money: The other night during a New Orleans Hornets game, Emeka Okafor, Carl Landry and Chris Kaman combined for 13 points. Their combined guaranteed salaries this year total $33 million.
Posted Feb. 1, 2012