Aust's Offensive Outburst Leads Terps Against Princeton
By Chris Garman
Here's a roundup of the week's action in local women's Division I lacrosse.
Game of the Week
No. 4 Maryland used a 10-point outbreak from junior Alex Aust to secure a 15-9 victory against No. 18 Princeton April 11.
Aust registered a school-record six assists to go along with four goals during the victory. Senior Kristy Black, junior Katie Schwarzmann and freshman Kelly McPartland all posted hat tricks for the Terrapins (12-3, 2-2 Atlantic Coast Conference).
After falling behind, 3-1, early, the Terps scored 11 unanswered goals to take a commanding lead. Senior Brittany Dipper led the defense with 11 saves in net. Maryland went a perfect 14-for-14 on clear attempts during the game, while holding a 17-11 advantage in ground balls.
Week In Review
No. 4 Maryland 15, No. 18 Princeton 9
No. 12 Virginia 11, No. 19 Johns Hopkins 7
Navy 19, American 6
Towson 16, Hofstra 9
No. 4 Maryland 19, Virginia Tech 5
No. 15 Cornell 17, No. 11 Loyola 10
UMBC 19, Vermont 11
No. 2 Syracuse 22, No. 14 Georgetown 11
No. 1 Northwestern 16, No. 19 Johns Hopkins 12
Towson 11, Drexel 10
Players of the Week
• Maryland junior Alex Aust: 14 points (five goals, nine assists) during the Terps' two games
• Navy freshman Loren Generi: seven goals during the Mids' victory against American
• Towson sophomore Andi Raymond: 14 points (six goals, eight assists) during the Tigers' two games
• UMBC senior Emily Coady: nine points (six goals, three assists) during the Retrievers' victory against Vermont
News and Notes
• Loyola senior Kellye Gallagher was named the Big East Defensive Player of the Week April 9, after she collected four ground balls and caused five turnovers during the Greyhounds' 17-8 victory at Louisville April 5.
• Navy junior goalkeeper Michelle Verbeeck was named the Patriot League Defensive Player of the Week April 9, after she made seven saves during Navy's 8-6 win at Colgate April 7, which was her first start of the season.
• The Midshipmen clinched the Patriot League regular season title for the first time in program history following Navy's April 13 victory against American.
• On the national landscape, No. 13 Penn State beat No. 10 Ohio State, 15-12, April 15.
UMBC vs. American -- 7 p.m.
No. 4 Maryland vs. Virginia Tech in Durham, N.C. -- 2 p.m.
No. 11 Loyola vs. Rutgers -- 7 p.m.
Towson vs. George Mason -- 7 p.m.
No. 19 Johns Hopkins at No. 13 Penn State -- 1 p.m.
Navy at Lehigh -- 1 p.m.
UMBC at New Hampshire -- 12 p.m.
No. 14 Georgetown vs. No. 8 Notre Dame -- 2:30 p.m.
Towson vs. James Madison -- 1 p.m.
Posted April 16, 2012