January 3, 2012
By Larry Harris
• Unbeaten List Down To 0: Well, both the Miami Heat and Oklahoma City Thunder took it on the chin Monday night, so there won't be any NBA teams that go 66-0 this season.
• The Amazing Arachnid: If he didn't make so much money shooting basketballs, all-arms-and-legs Kevin Durant of the Thunder would be a lock to star in the next Hollywood production of "Spiderman." Or "Plastic Man."
• My Ring's Bigger Than Yours: How nice that Michael Jordan and LeBron James could announce their respective engagements on successive days.
• A Touch Of Class: Steve Smith, the acrobatic Carolina Panthers veteran, just broke the franchise records for catches (699) and yards (10,278) and got selected for his fifth Pro Bowl. As a reward for "clearing out for me," Smith is taking the entire Panthers receiving corps to Hawaii with him.
• Room For One More: Remember when NFL players used to retire and open up restaurants? Now they just sign on with one of the networks as "expert analysts." The carpenters who expand sets for a living are making a fortune.
• Follow The Bouncing Ball: Dennis Rodman has embarked on yet another career. He is coaching a women's topless basketball team sponsored by a gentleman's club in New York. No word yet on whether Maryland is included in the barnstorming tour.
Posted Jan. 3, 2012