Fantasy Baseball Finds, Flukes, Trade Baits And Busts
By Eric Radom
• It is time to assess and address your needs. Continue to target players that are off to slow starts.
• Injuries continue to pile up. See below.
• Interleague play has started. Be aware of designated hitters playing in National League parks.
• Somebody wake me up. It is almost June and the Baltimore Orioles have the best record in the American League.
• The Miami Marlins' Heath Bell appears to have his closer job and his mojo back.
• Stephen Strasburg has been suffering from arm fatigue, but it might not be anything major.
• New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi is still non-committal about who will be the closer when David Robertson returns. I think he will stay with Rafael Soriano.
• St. Louis Cardinals first baseman Lance Berkman’s knee injury is not an ACL tear, so he may still make it back after the All-Star break.
• Los Angeles Dodgers center fielder Matt Kemp is set to begin a rehab assignment.
• Reports that Toronto Blue Jays first baseman Adam Lind was placed on waivers were false, and he is actually crushing at Triple A right now. It couldn’t hurt to take a flyer in deeper leagues if you have a roster spot.
• Of course we all knew that the Orioles' Jim Johnson and the Cleveland Indians' Chris Perez would be the league leaders in saves at this point.
• We knew Miami Marlins second baseman Omar Infante could hit for average, but since when is he a power/speed threat?
• The Boston Red Sox appear to have come out on the losing ends of the Jed Lowrie and Josh Reddick trades.
• The Houston Astros have been surprising, led by the hot starting pitching of Bud Norris.
• Aroldis Chapman appears to be the Cincinnati Reds' new closer, so he should start adding saves to his other ptiching numbers.
• Washington Nationals manager Davey Johnson may have run out of reasons not to make Tyler Clippard the closer. Pick him up.
• Brian Roberts hopes to return in June from a concussion.
• Zach Britton is out until at least June with a shoulder injury.
• Andrew Bailey is out until at least July because of thumb surgery.
• Nolan Reimold is out until at least late May with a bulging disc in his neck.
• Daisuke Matsuzaka is out until late June after elbow surgery.
• Carl Crawford is out until at least mid-July with a sprained elbow.
• Michael Pineda is out for the season with a torn labrum.
• Kyle Farnsworth has an elbow strain and is out until the start of June.
• Sergio Santos is out until at least June with a strained shoulder.
• Dustin McGowan has a sore foot. He could be back by the end of May.
• Jacoby Ellsbury badly hurt his shoulder and is out until at least June.
• Mariano Rivera is out for the season with a torn ACL.
• Mark Reynolds is out until at least late May with a strained oblique.
• Jason Hammel is probable to make his next start with a knee injury.
• Jeff Niemann is out until at least late June with a fractured foot.
• Brett Gardner is out until at least June with an elbow injury.
• Evan Longoria is out until early June with a partial tear in his hamstring.
• Desmond Jennings is out until early to mid-June with a sprained knee.
• J.J. Hardy is day-to-day with a sore shoulder.
• Cody Ross is out until at least early July with a foot injury.
• David Robertson is out until at least late May with a ribcage injury.
• Jeff Keppinger is out until at least mid-June with a foot injury.
• Kelly Johnson is day-to-day with a hamstring injury.
• Grady Sizemore had back surgery and is out until at least June.
• Jonathan Sanchez is out until at least late May with biceps tendinitis.
• Victor Martinez is out until at least August with a torn knee.
• Joakim Soria is out for the season with a torn elbow.
• Lorenzo Cain is out until at least mid-June with a groin strain.
• Josh Tomlin is out until at least late May with a wrist injury.
• Salvador Perez is recovering from knee surgery. He hopes to be back in June.
• Scott Baker is out for the season with an elbow injury.
• Chris Getz is out until at least early June with a rib injury.
• Danny Duffy is out for the season with a torn elbow ligament.
• Ryan Doumit is day-to-day with a strained calf.
• Denard Span is day-to-day with a hamstring injury.
• John Danks is out until at least early June with a shoulder injury.
• Brent Morel is out until at least early June with a back injury.
• Travis Hafner is day-to-day with a shin injury.
• Austin Jackson is out until at least mid-June with an abdomen injury.
• Dallas Braden has had a setback in his recovery from shoulder surgery and might not return until July.
• Franklin Gutierrez is out until at least late June with injuries to his chest and foot.
• Brandon Inge is out until at least late May with a groin injury.
• Brett Anderson is out until at least August after elbow surgery.
• Manny Ramirez is suspended for the first 50 games of the season.
• Miguel Olivo is out until at least mid-May with a strained groin.
• Yoenis Cespedes is day-to-day with a strained hand.
• Chris Iannetta is out until at least late June with wrist surgery.
• Vernon Wells is out until at least late July with a thumb injury.
• Brandon McCarthy has had a sore shoulder and is expected to start June 2.
• Neftali Feliz is out until at least early June.
• Placido Polanco is day-to-day with a knee injury.
• Josh Thole is out at least a week with a concussion.
• Vance Worley is out until at least late May with an elbow injury.
• Ryan Howard will be out until at least late May with an infection in his repaired Achilles.
• Chase Utley has serious knee issues. He might try to come back in May.
• Michael Morse is out until at least early June with a strained lat.
• Drew Storen had bone fragments removed from his elbow. He could come back in June.
• Mike Pelfrey is out for the season with elbow surgery.
• Jason Bay is out until at least early May with fractured ribs.
• Jayson Werth is out until at least late July with a broken wrist.
• Brad Lidge is out until at least late June after having surgery for a sports hernia.
• Wilson Ramos is out for the season with a torn ACL.
• Brian McCann is questionable with an illness.
• Emilio Bonifacio is out until at least late June with a hand injury.
• Hanley Ramirez is day-to-day with a knee injury.
• Stephen Strasburg is suffering from arm fatigue, but is probable for his next start.
• Chipper Jones is day-to-day with a calf injury.
• Carlos Marmol is out until at least late May with a hamstring injury.
• Ryan Madson is out for the season with an elbow injury.
• Geovany Soto is out until at least mid-June with a knee injury.
• Allen Craig is out until at least mid-June with a hamstring injury.
• Chris Carpenter has nerve issues in his shoulder and neck and could be back in late July or early August.
• Carlos Gomez is out until at least late May with a hamstring injury.
• Jordan Schafer is day-to-day with a toe injury.
• Mat Gamel is out for the season with a knee injury.
• Scott Rolen is out indefinitely with a shoulder injury.
• Jon Jay is out until at least late May with a shoulder injury.
• Lance Berkman is out until at least early July with a knee injury.
• Matt Carpenter is out until at least early June with an oblique injury.
• Stephen Drew should be back in early June from ankle surgery.
• Jorge De La Rosa is on track for a June return from elbow surgery.
• Matt Kemp has a hamstring injury and could be back by June.
• Carlos Quentin could be back by early May from a minor knee surgery.
• Miguel Montero is day-to-day with a groin injury.
• Daniel Hudson is out until late May with shoulder tightness.
• Brian Wilson is out for the season with an elbow injury.
• Cory Luebke is seeking a second opinion, but his elbow issue could require surgery.
• Pablo Sandoval is out until at least early June with a fractured wrist.
• Jhoulys Chacin is out until at least late May with a shoulder injury.
• Dexter Fowler is day-to-day with an ankle injury.
• Juan Rivera is out until at least late May with a leg injury.
• Huston Street is out until at least late May with a shoulder injury.
• Mark Ellis is out until at least early July with a leg injury.
• Jason Bartlett is out until at least early June with a knee injury.
Top Performing Fantasy Players For 2012 (By Position)
Top 15 Fantasy Catchers: Carlos Ruiz, Yadier Molina, Jonathan Lucroy, A.J. Pierzynski, Buster Posey, Joe Mauer, J.P. Arencibia, Carlos Santana, A.J. Ellis, Matt Wieters, Brian McCann, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Mike Napoli, Ryan Doumit, Jesus Montero
Top 15 Fantasy First Basemen: Edwin Encarnacion, Paul Konerko, Miguel Cabrera, Adam Dunn, Joey Votto, Adam LaRoche, Michael Cuddyer, Bryan Lahair, Prince Fielder, Freddie Freeman, Mark Trumbo, Chris Davis, Carlos Lee, Mitch Moreland, Justin Morneau
Top 15 Fantasy Second Basemen: Omar Infante, Ian Kinsler, Mike Aviles, Jose Altuve, Jason Kipnis, Kelly Johnson, Dustin Pedroia, Dan Uggla, Robinson Cano, Aaron Hill, Dustin Ackley, Ben Zobrist, Mark Ellis, Brandon Phillips, Daniel Murphy
Top 15 Fantasy Shortstops: Rafael Furcal, Starlin Castro, Hanley Ramirez, Mike Aviles, Derek Jeter, Elvis Andrus, Emilio Bonifacio, Ian Desmond, Asdrubal Cabrera, Jose Reyes, Troy Tulowitzki, J.J. Hardy, Jed Lowrie, Alcides Escobar, Dee Gordon
Top 15 Fantasy Third Basemen: Edwin Encarnacion, David Wright, Hanley Ramirez, Mike Aviles, Miguel Cabrera, Martin Prado, Adrian Beltre, Jose Bautista, Emilio Bonifacio, David Freese, Alex Rodriguez, Kyle Seager, Chase Headley, Chris Johnson, Mike Moustakas
Top 25 Fantasy Outfielders: Josh Hamilton, Ryan Braun, Adam Jones, Carlos Beltran, Carlos Gonzalez, Matt Kemp, Michael Bourn, Andrew McCutchen, Melky Cabrera, Andre Ethier, Shane Victorino, Josh Reddick, Matt Holliday, Curtis Granderson, Austin Jackson, Hunter Pence, Martin Prado, Alejandro De Aza, Jose Bautista, Giancarlo Stanton, Emilio Bonifacio, Angel Pagan, Justin Upton, Jay Bruce, Drew Stubbs
Top 25 Fantasy Starting Pitchers: Justin Verlander, Cole Hamels, Gio Gonzalez, Jered Weaver, Jake Peavy, Brandon Beachy, Clayton Kershaw, Matt Cain, Lance Lynn, Brandon Morrow, Chris Capuano, Stephen Strasburg, Zack Greinke, Felix Hernandez, James McDonald, Wandy Rodriguez, Jason Vargas, Johnny Cueto, Chris Sale, David Price, C.J. Wilson, Madison Bumgarner, James Shields, R.A. Dickey, Bud Norris
Top 20 Fantasy Relief Pitchers: Fernando Rodney, Jim Johnson, Chris Perez, Aroldis Chapman, Kenley Jansen, Santiago Casilla, Jonathan Papelbon, Jason Motte, Craig Kimbrel, Brett Myers, Pedro Strop, Joe Nathan, Joel Hanrahan, Alexi Ogando, Alfredo Aceves, Rafael Betancourt, Matt Capps, Henry Rodriguez, Javy Guerra, Ryan Cook
Finds: Jonathan Lucroy, Justin Morneau, Jed Lowrie, Michael Brantley, Andy Pettitte, R.A. Dickey, Ernesto Frieri, Tyler Clippard
Flukes: Gordon Beckham, Freddy Galvis, Will Venable, Willie Bloomquist, Brian Matusz, Mike Leake, Jeanmar Gomez
Trade Bait: Carlos Beltran, Paul Konerko, Mike Aviles, Angel Pagan, A.J. Ellis, Brandon Beachy, Chris Perez, Anibal Sanchez, Ryan Vogelsong
Trade Targets: Dan Haren, Troy Tulowitzki, Aramis Ramirez, Alex Rios, Felipe Paulino, Roy Halladay, Henry Rodriguez
On Fire: Kevin Millwood, Justin Verlander, Andy Pettitte, Aroldis Chapman, Jonathan Lucroy, Ryan Braun, Melky Cabrera, B.J. Upton, Paul Konerko
Ice Cold: Gavin Floyd, Rafael Dolis, Joe Blanton, Ian Kennedy, Jay Bruce, Logan Morrison, Daniel Murphy, Johnny Damon
Hot Pickups Of The Week: Jonathan Lucroy, Justin Morneau, Andy Pettitte, Mitch Moreland, R.A. Dickey, Tyler Clippard, Ervin Santana, Brennan Boesch
Last Week: Raul Ibanez, Dayan Viciedo, Jose Tabata, Mark Ellis, Carlos Zambrano, Felipe Paulino, James McDonald, Bud Norris, Addison Reed
Two Weeks Ago: Rafael Dolis, Casey Janssen, Dale Thayer, Jeff Samardzija, David Robertson, Kyle Seager, Allen Craig, Henderson Alvarez, Josh Reddick
Fantasy MVP Pitcher For The Week: Justin Verlander
Fantasy MVP Hitter For The Week: Jonathan Lucroy
Ut Oh Of The Week: Any arm injury news for Stephen Strasburg is grounds for an Ut Oh.
Fantasy Baseball: Start 'Ems Of The Week
Must-start Batters: Miguel Cabrera, Albert Pujols, Ryan Braun, Matt Kemp, Jose Bautista, Robinson Cano, Carlos Gonzalez, Dustin Pedroia, Jose Reyes, Troy Tulowitzki, Adrian Gonzalez, Hanley Ramirez, Joey Votto, Justin Upton, Ian Kinsler, Prince Fielder, Adrian Beltre, Josh Hamilton, Andrew McCutchen, Curtis Granderson, Carlos Santana, Hunter Pence, Matt Holliday, Mike Napoli, Mark Teixeira, Giancarlo Stanton, Alex Rodriguez, Shin-Soo Choo, Nelson Cruz, Matt Wieters, Brian McCann, Jay Bruce, Ben Zobrist, Elvis Andrus, David Wright, Michael Bourn, Brandon Phillips, Joe Mauer, Michael Young, Brett Lawrie, Asdrubal Cabrera, Dan Uggla, Corey Hart, Miguel Montero, Jimmy Rollins, Desmond Jennings, Ichiro Suzuki, Paul Konerko, Andre Ethier, David Freese, Carlos Beltran, Adam Jones, Billy Butler, Buster Posey, Starlin Castro, Jason Heyward, Derek Jeter, David Ortiz, Edwin Encarnacion, Yadier Molina, Rafael Furcal, Jason Kipnis, Shane Victorino
Others To Consider This Week: Aramis Ramirez, B.J. Upton, Alex Gordon, Kevin Youkilis, Michael Cuddyer, Drew Stubbs, Howard Kendrick, Neil Walker, Aaron Hill, Paul Goldschmidt, Cameron Maybin, Alex Rios, Jesus Montero, Ike Davis, Nick Markakis, Erick Aybar, Martin Prado, Gaby Sanchez, Nick Swisher, Logan Morrison, Brennan Boesch, Dexter Fowler, Jeff Franceour, Melky Cabrera, Lucas Duda, Delmon Young, Austin Jackson, Matt Joyce, Josh Willingham, Dee Gordon, Alex Avila, Yunel Escobar, J.J. Hardy, J.P. Arencibia, Dustin Ackley, Freddie Freeman, Russell Martin, Kelly Johnson, Jemile Weeks, Ian Desmond, Rickie Weeks, Mark Reynolds, Kendrys Morales, Bryce Harper, Mike Trout, Bryan Lahair, Mike Aviles, Jose Altuve, Torii Hunter, Adam Dunn, Mike Moustakas, Jordan Schafer, Eric Hosmer
Must-start Pitchers: Clayton Kershaw, Justin Verlander, Roy Halladay, Felix Hernandez, David Price, Jered Weaver, CC Sabathia, Tim Lincecum, Cole Hamels, Zack Greinke, Jon Lester, Dan Haren, Mat Latos, Madison Bumgarner, Yovani Gallardo, Matt Cain, Ian Kennedy, C.J. Wilson, Ricky Romero, James Shields, Yu Darvish, Stephen Strasburg, Tommy Hanson, Matt Moore, Gio Gonzalez, Matt Garza, Jordan Zimmermann, Jake Peavy, Jonathan Papelbon, Fernando Rodney, Craig Kimbrel, Chris Perez , Henry Rodriguez, Rafael Betancourt, Joe Nathan, Huston Street, Santiago Casilla, John Axford, J.J. Putz, Jason Motte, Joel Hanrahan, Brandon Morrow, Jim Johnson
Others to consider this week: Max Scherzer, Josh Beckett, Shaun Marcum, Anibal Sanchez, Jeremy Hellickson, Colby Lewis, Trevor Cahill, Ervin Santana, Brandon Beachy, Derek Holland, Hiroki Kuroda, Chad Billingsley, Wandy Rodriguez, Ted Lilly, Johnny Cueto, Jaime Garcia, Bud Norris, Gavin Floyd, Edwin Jackson, Jonathon Niese, Brandon McCarthy, Adam Wainwright, Bartolo Colon, Lance Lynn, Kyle Lohse, Javy Guerra, Brandon League, Brett Myers, Jonathon Broxton, Sean Marshall, Josh Johnson, Carlos Zambrano, Jeff Samardzija, Addison Reed, Brian Fuentes, Casey Janssen
And, now some other guys we like this week ...
Sleepers Of The Week ...
Or, what DUD will become a STUD, at least for one week.
Hitters: Aramis Ramirez, Jesus Montero, James Loney
Pitchers: Carlos Zambrano, Jarrod Parker
Busts Of The Week ...
Or, what STUD will become a DUD, at least for one week.
Hitters: Chris Davis, Lucas Duda
Pitchers: Tim Hudson, Anthony Bass
Posted May 25, 2012