Quick Strikes From The MMA World
By Cary Newborn
As the summer of 2012 comes to a close, MMA news continues to be plentiful. Here is a look at some updates from the MMA world:
• The salaries from UFC 148, Silva vs. Sonnen II included $200,000 for Anderson Silva; $50,000 for Chael Sonnen; $275,000 for Forrest Griffin, including a $150,000 win bonus; $250,000 for Tito Ortiz; $150,000 for Cung Le; $21,000 for Patrick Cote; $96,000 for Demian Maia, including a $48,000 win bonus; $10,000 for Cody McKenzie; $72,000 for Melvin Guillard, including a $36,000 win bonus; and $36,000 for Chad Mendes, including an $18,000 win bonus.
• The coach for Sonnen decided against making a request for an appeal after his fighter lost to Silva for a second time, this time by referee stoppage from strikes. He said Silva had grabbed Sonnen's shorts and hit him with an illegal knee, which replays showed was legal.
• There has been talk of a so-called "superfight" between Silva and George St.-Pierre during the early part of next year, but UFC president Dana White quickly put an end to any talk of a potential superfight.
• White announced that Nate Diaz is the No. 1 lightweight contender and is next in line for a title shot.
• Talk of Rashad Evans dropping down to the middleweight division is gaining steam, and his next fight could be against Sonnen or Chris Weidman.
• The UFC extended its current deal with ESPN in the United Kingdom to air pay-per-view and cable TV events through August 2013.
• UFC on Fox 4 featured the debut of a UFC ref cam. It's the first time such a feature has been used in the UFC.
• UFC heavyweights Shane Carwin and Roy Nelson have been chosen as the coaches for "The Ultimate Fighter 16" on FX, which starts in September.
• Quinton "Rampage" Jackson will face Glover Teixeira for UFC 153 in Brazil. White announced that the two fighters would head to China in November, and will do an event in Russia as well. There is no exact time for the Russian event yet, but the UFC has already hosted shows in Brazil, Australia, England, Canada and Japan, with talks of going to India and South Africa as well.
• A fourth meeting between former UFC champions Tim Silvia and Andrei Arlovski is set for "ONE FC: Pride of a Nation" Aug. 31 in the Philippines. The card also has Shinya Aoki, Jens Pulver, Rolles Gracie, Igor Gracie, Gregor Gracie and Phil Baroni.
• UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones was reportedly fined $1,000 at a July 31 sentencing hearing for driving while intoxicated, according to multiple sources, and his driver's license was suspended for six months. Jones, the brother of Ravens defensive end Arthur Jones, will also reportedly have to install ignition interlock devices in all of his vehicles as a result of his May 19 incident.
The Fight Card
Aug. 17: LFC 54 -- Indianapolis, Ind.
Aug. 18: Strikeforce: Rousey vs. Kaufman -- San Diego, Calif.
Aug. 24: Bellator 73 -- Robinsonville, Miss.
Sept. 1: UFC 151 -- Las Vegas, Nev.
Sept. 8: ICE 55 -- Dayton, Ohio
Sept. 14: ROC XLII -- Atlantic City, N.J.
Issue 176: August 2012