By Coach Buzz Battaglia
The American Heritage Award is the brainchild of Dalys Tally, the longtime treasurer of the Harford/Baltimore County Youth Football League and coach at Middle River High School. Tally, a member of the United States military, brought the concept of this award to the membership following the events of Sept. 11, 2001.
To remember the brave people lost on that day, the league adopted the award at that meeting, and it has been awarded to one player of the teams that play in the championship games in all age groups in all divisions since.
Every recipient must have a B grade average in school, have attended 95 percent of the practices and have always been respectful to coaches and teammates. This award is presented before the start of every championship game to a player from each team.
This award is unique because the player is not always the star of the team. The player may not be in a leadership role on the team, but leads by example. It would be great to see this award expanded to include every team in the league.
Congratulations to all the 2007 American Heritage Award winners.
- 6-8: Azende Smith (Pikesville), Tanner Page (Bel Air)
- 7-9: Devin Waller (Middle River), Miles Williams (Columbia)
- 8-10: George Boswell (Middle River), Andrew Ashley (Columbia)
- 9-11: Logan Karukas (Bel Air), John Myers (Perry Hall)
- 10-12: Kweku Parker (Loch Raven), Sal Jeppi (Perry Hall)
- 11-13: Tom Testoff (Columbia), Noel Liverpool (Perry Hall)
- Unlimited: Laquone Bennett (Gardenville), Lorenzo Moore (Hamilton)
- 6-8: Maurice Epps (Aberdeen), Zeke Wills (Gray Charles)
- 7-9: Shane Chavis (Gray Charles), Jordan Hawthorne (Havre de Grace)
- 8-10: Austin Kocsan (Edgewood), Bradley Stoots (Gray Charles)
- 9-11: Evan Dohler (Towson), Alex Heavrin (Lutherville-Timonium)
- 10-12: Zach Acher (Lutherville-Timonium), Andrew Roswell (Towson)
- 11-13: Travon Barnes (Randallstown), Kareron Bowling (Cockeysville)
- 6-8: Nick Cobb (Stembridge), Trey Austin (M.O.T.)
- 7-9: Joe Patti (Hereford), Tyler Thompson (Hampstead)
- 8-10: Jake Ambrose (Middle River), Brea Eapen (Emmorton)
- 9-11: Montee Howard (Dundalk), Robert Limmer (Middle River)
- 10-12: Nick Auvil (Stembridge), Bradon Kidd (Owing Mills)
- 11-13: Tom Andrejak (Dundalk), Jarome Stanley (M.O.T.)
- 6-8: Zachary Esbin (Cecil County), Mariano Hornedo (Perry Hall)
- 7-9: Matthew Wolfe (Bel Air), Anthony Allen (Edgewood)
- 8-10: Chris Saches-Moore (Edgewood), Kamonte Franklin (Middle River)
- 9-11: Brady McKinney (Perry Hall), Ryan Moriarty (Fallston)
- 10-12: Xavier Alvarez (Cecil County), Ryan Crowder (Overlea)
- 11-13: Tommy Gruebl (Perry Hall), Matt Verderamo (Fallston)
Issue 2.47: November 22, 2007