By Jon Guhl, Middle Atlantic PGA
The Maryland team won the inaugural Middle Atlantic PGA Capital Cup, a Ryder Cup-style event for junior golfers, held at Woodmont Country Club in Rockville, Md., Aug 22-23. Team Maryland took the matches by a score of 15½ to 8½.
The Saturday morning foursome matches saw Maryland take a 4½ to 1½ lead over Virginia. Leading the way for Maryland was Austin Doerr (McHenry) and Mitchell Buccelli (Port Tobacco) beating Ryan Rettberg (Front Royal) and Welsey Liu 5&4. Buccelli closed the match out with a hole-in-one on the par-3 15th hole.
The Four-Ball matches saw Maryland jump on their early lead and take a commanding 8½ to 3½ lead going into the singles matches. Will Wiseman (Salisbury) and Mason Short (Waldorf) led the way for Maryland defeating Amanda Steinhagen (Oak Hill) and Kevin Clarke (Midlothian). Jordan Sweet (Bowie), Ben Warnquist (Rockville), Wiseman and Short each won a full two points for Maryland in their first two matches.
The Sunday Singles matches started off with a bang for Sweet. Playing in the second match, Sweet birdied his first four holes and took a huge 4-up lead through four holes. He ended up winning his match against Rettberg 4&3.
Although Maryland looked like they were going to breeze their way to a victory, Virginia wasn’t going down without a fight. At one point in the singles matches, Virginia was up in nine of the 12 matches. Chas Bassing (Great Falls) paved the way for Virginia defeating Brian McCormick (Kensington) 5&4. Brothers Adam and Matt Ball (Richmond) played outstanding golf, winning 4½ points for Virginia over the weekend. Feeling the heat from Virginia, Maryland turned on the jets and won four out of the final six matches.
Foursomes: (Md. wins 4½ -1½ )
- Bradley Rotter & Jake Miller (Md.) def. Amanda Steinhagen & Zach Lauzon (5&4)
- Mitchell Buccelli & Austin Doerr (Md.) def. Ryan Rettberg & Wesley Liu (5&4)
- Matt Ball Jr. & Sophia Montenegro (Va.) def. Sam Oshrine & Matt Oshrine (4&3)
- Adam Ball & Chas Bassing (Va.) halved Alex Church & Brian McCormick (Md.)
- Mason Short & Jordan Sweet (Md.) def. Shabril Brewer & Tim Ritter (3&1)
- Will Wiseman & Ben Warnquist (Md.) def. Kevin Clarke & Justin Nguonly (3&2)
Four-ball: (Md. wins 4-2, combined score Md. 8½- Va. 3½ )
- Matt Ball Jr. & Ryan Rettberg (Va.) def. Bradley Rotter & Jake Miller (6&4)
- Adam Ball & Zack Lauzon (Va.) def. Austin Doerr & Mitchell Buccelli (1up)
- Mason Short & Will Wiseman (Md.) def. Amanda Steinhagen & Kevin Clarke (2&1)
- Ben Warnquist & Jordan Sweet (Md.) def. Welsey Liu & Tim Ritter (1 up)
- Alex Church & Brian McCormick (Md.) def. Justin Nguonly & Sophia Montenegro (4&3)
- Matt Oshrine & Sam Oshrine (Md.) def. Shabril Brewer & Chas Bassing (5&4)
Singles: (Md. wins 7-5, combined final score Md. 15½- Va. 8½)
- Ben Warnquist (Rockville, Md.) halved Wesley Liu (Herndon, Va.)
- Jordan Sweet (Bowie, Md.) def. Ryan Rettberg (Front Royal, Va.) (4&3)
- Chas Bassing (Great Falls, Va.) def. Brian McCormick (Kensington, Md.) (5&4)
- Amanda Steinhagen (Oak Hill, Va.) def. Mitchell Buccelli (Port Tobacco, Md.) (2&1)
- Austin Doerr (McHenry, Md.) def. Sophia Montenegro (Oakton, Va.) (4&3)
- Justin Nguonly (Vienna, Va.) def. Matt Oshrine (Baltimore, Md.) (1 up)
- Sam Oshrine (Baltimore, Md.) def. Tim Ritter (Centreville, Va.) (1 up)
- Alex Church (Timonium, Md.) def. Kevin Clarke (Midlothian, Va.) (3&2)
- Shabril Brewer (Oakton, Va.) halved Jake Miller (Bishopville, Md.)
- Bradley Rotter (Potomac, Md.) def. Zack Lauzon (Woodbridge, Va.) (2&1)
- Adam Ball (Richmond, Va.) def. Mason Short (Waldorf, Md.) (1 up)
- Will Wiseman (Salisbury, Md.) def. Matt Ball Jr. (Richmond, Va.) (1 up)
Posted Aug. 25, 2009