Edited By Larry Harris
• Must See: The 30-second ESPN clip that portrays all those college basketball coaches trying to emulate Icarus and fly toward the sun should be shown at least once during every game of the NCAA tournament.
• Please, She's Busy: Houston Rockets guard Kyle Lowry took a 10-rated dive into the third or fourth row of the gallery the other night, scattering spectators like tossing a fistful of jellybeans. The young woman who took the brunt of the crash landed on her back and never took the cell phone from her ear.
• He's Our Man: It slipped past most places, but Baltimore's Cleveland Melvin was an overwhelming choice as Big East Freshman of the Year. He was joined on the All-Freshman team by teammate Brandon Young, another local product. The two may make lowly DePaul a respected name again during the next couple seasons.
• Two Tenors: Tiki Barber said he's coming out of retirement to play in the NFL again, even though he'll be in his 37th year when -- and if -- the season rolls around. Of course his twin brother, Ronde, is still at it as a Tampa defensive back. Ancient opera lovers can recall when the two of them played at the U. of Virginia in Charlottesville and were known as "The Barbers Of C'Ville."
• What's In A Name: No one can do much about the handle they were given at birth, but international soccer honcho SeppBlatter sounds suspiciously like a terrible medical condition.
|Dallas Cowboys WR Sam Hurd (Sabina Moran/PressBox)|
The 33rd annual Ed Block Courage Awards on March 8 featured announcement of the future addition of two more venues to help abused children. For more on the event, click here.
More Front Row:
• Coaching Byword At Hopkins: Take A Seat And Stay Awhile
• 'Countdown' FightsKidney Diseases
• Umpires WantTo Honor Ernie Tyler
• Mud Chasers Slate April Run-Wallow
• Two New Books For Baseball Fans
• From The Cheap Seats
Issue 159: March 2011