Before you know it, it will be fantasy football draft time. Leading up to that time, I will be conducting mock drafts. During the drafts, I will pick in all 12 positions, with all sorts of scenarios.
As a rule, I prefer to draft three starting running backs within the first four rounds. It is a tried-and-true strategy, which has done me well for 20-plus years. The mock drafts I do will all assume 12 teams are in the league (unless otherwise noted) with the following positions: quarterback, two running backs, three wide receivers, tight end, a flex (running back, wide receiver or tight end), kicker, team defense and six bench spots. So it is a 16-round snake draft.
Here is scenario No. 10.
II have the 10th overall pick. Let's see how it all works out. In this format, we are playing in a standard scoring league.
You can see the entire draft by clicking here.
Round 1, Pick 10: running back Marshawn Lynch (Seattle)
Round 2, Pick 3: wide receiver Demaryius Thomas (Denver)
Round 3, Pick 10: wide receiver Pierre Garcon (Washington)
Round 4, Pick 3: running back Rashad Jennings (NY Giants)
Round 5, Pick 10: wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson (Minnesota)
Round 6, Pick 3: running back Joique Bell (Detroit)
Round 7, Pick 10: quarterback Nick Foles (Philapdelphia)
Round 8, Pick 3: running back Pierre Thomas (New Orleans)
Round 9, Pick 10: tight end Kyle Rudolph (Minnesota)
Round 10, Pick 3: running back Khiry Robinson (New Orleans)
Round 11, Pick 10: quarterback Jay Cutler (Chicago)
Round 12, Pick 3: wide receiver Dwayne Bowe (Kansas City)
Round 13, Pick 10: wide receiver James Jones (Oakland)
Round 14, Pick 3: Kelvin Benjamin (Carolina)
Round 15, Pick 10: kicker Justin Tucker (Baltimore)
Round 16, Pick 3: Baltimore Ravens defense
This is a solid team. I could not pass up Thomas as a wide receiver during round two. I passed onGiovani Bernard and Le'Veon Bell to get Thomas. Getting Bell and Robinson in a standard league should do fantasy football players well.
I took a quarterback slightly earlier than I would have liked, but Foles in the seventh round is hard to pass up. I think in my next mock I will use Cutler as my top quarterback choice and see how it works out. I expect Cutler to be great in 2014.
Overall, this draft has solid depth and I did not reach or over draft anyone.
What do you think? Let me know by leaving a comment or contacting me on Twitter @fansfantasy.
You can sign up for a free mock draft simulator by clicking here. Practice makes perfect.
- The 2014 Fantasy Football Draft Guide
- Fantasy Football Mock Draft: Should You Use Your First Three Picks On Running Backs?
- Fantasy Football Mock Draft: Taking Running Backs With Three Of First Four Picks
- Fantasy Football Mock Draft: How Important Is Draft Position?
- Fantasy Football Mock Draft: Starting With Three Wide Receivers
- Fantasy Football Mock Draft: Using A Fourth-round Pick On A Quarterback
- Fantasy Football Mock Draft: Impact Of Drafting Wide Receivers Early
- Fantasy Football Mock Draft: Can You Pass On Calvin Johnson In Round 1?
- Fantasy Football Mock Draft: Is It Dangerous To Pick Three Teammates?
- Fantasy Football Mock Draft: Picking Near The Bottom Of A Draft