BALTIMORE -- There's a little more than a week until major league rosters can expand to 40 players, and in advance of the Sept. 1 additions, Orioles manager Buck Showalter and executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette have chatted about the topic.
Showalter said he and Duquette will talk in depth about it early next week when the Orioles return from their weekend trip to Boston. Duquette will discuss possible call-ups with Triple-A Norfolk manager Ron Johnson and Double-A Bowie manager Gary Kendall.
"There are a number of players down there that I like; it's got to fit in a lot of different ways," Showalter said. "They've got to serve a need up here, and then try to bridge the gap between who might benefit by being here for a month and trying to get ahead of the curve a little bit in that adjustment period if we think they're going to be here next year."
The Orioles have a full 40-man roster, and several players they are considering aren't on the 40-man, so roster space must be made.
They'll also need to create a roster spot when shortstop J.J. Hardy comes off the 60-day disabled list.
Here are some of the players who could be considered for September call-ups.
OF Joey Rickard
The Orioles didn't want to send Rickard down to Norfolk, but they added Rule 5 draft pick Anthony Santander, and because the versatile Rickard will spend fewer than 20 days in the minors, he'll still have three minor league options remaining.
LHP Donnie Hart
The left-hander got caught in a numbers game earlier this month and was sent down to Norfolk when DH/outfielder Mark Trumbo was activated from the 10-day disabled list.
Hart has had some rough patches during his second major league season, but he has a 3.12 ERA, and should the Orioles trade left-handed closer Zach Britton this winter, Hart could assume a more prominent role in the bullpen next season.
DH Pedro Alvarez
It's a shock to the Orioles and many others in baseball that Alvarez, who experimented in right field with Norfolk earlier this year, is still in the minor leagues.
Alvarez could have opted out of his contract to sign a major league deal, but there were no offers.
He hit 25 home runs and recorded 84 RBIs for the Tides this season and could serve as a left-handed hitter off the bench for the Orioles. Last year, he hit 22 homers for the Orioles in 109 games.
Alvarez, who signed a minor league contract in March, would need to be added to the 40-man roster.
INF Ruben Tejada
It's possible the Orioles would want an extra utility infielder, and Tejada, who did a creditable job for them before Tim Beckham's arrival, could get another call.
Tejada can play second, short and third, and unlike his utility counterpart Ryan Flaherty, isn't left-handed and doesn't play the outfield.
Because Tejada was out of options and outrighted to Norfolk, he would have to be added to the 40-man, and that could work against him.
C Chance Sisco
Sisco is considered the Orioles' catcher of the future, and if the team wants him to get adjusted to the major leagues, he could come up in September.
Neither Sisco nor Francisco Pena, who's filled in the last two seasons when catchers were injured, are on the 40-man roster.
It's a good bet the Orioles will add a third catcher.
RHPs Stefan Crichton, Mike Wright, Jimmy Yacabonis
Right-handers Crichton, Wright and Yacabonis have all been with the Orioles this season and could provide Showalter with relievers who can pitch multiple innings and secure the staff against a series of short starts.
Left-hander Jayson Aquino and right-hander Gabriel Ynoa could also get calls.
While Duquette and Showalter could be intrigued by Bowie left-hander Tanner Scott and outfielders Austin Hays and Cedric Mullins, the team could wait until next spring to take a longer look.
Hays, Mullins and Scott would all have to be added to the 40-man roster.