BALTIMORE -- While the Orioles didn't make any last-minute trades Aug. 31, they will add at least four players from Triple-A Norfolk Sept. 1.
No player acquired from another organization after Aug. 31 is eligible for a postseason roster.
The Orioles were in talks to re-acquire right-handed pitcher Miguel Gonzalez from the Chicago White Sox, but instead Gonzalez was traded to the Texas Rangers. Gonzalez pitched for the Orioles from 2012-2015.
The Orioles will begin bringing players up as the rosters expand to 40 Sept. 1. Initially, they will add catcher Chance Sisco, outfielder Joey Rickard -- who was optioned to Triple-A Norfolk Aug. 16 to make room for Rule 5 draft choice Anthony Santander -- as well as designated hitter Pedro Alvarez and right-handed pitcher Jimmy Yacabonis.
In the past, the Orioles have brought players up to gain exposure to the big leagues and learn from the experience. Second baseman Jonathan Schoop was brought up in September 2013 and became a valuable player in 2014. Left fielder Trey Mancini, who was put on the roster after Steve Pearce was injured last September, also benefited.
Alvarez, who hit 22 home runs for the Orioles in 2016, was re-signed to a minor league contract in March with the idea that he'd learn to play the outfield. That experiment didn't last long, but Alvarez had 26 home runs and drove in 89 runs for Norfolk.
"Somebody's going to come up here that's got a chance to be a contributor," Showalter said. "We're not going to bring anybody that we don't think can contribute."
It will be Sisco's first time in the major leagues. The 22-year-old was the Orioles' second-round draft pick in 2013, and he hit .277 for Norfolk with seven home runs and 47 RBIs.
"Obviously, we're going to bring a third catcher," Showalter said, "and that safety valve, even though he may not play a game, he affects that game because you're able to do some things twice that you can normally do once."
Another name Showalter mentioned is veteran corner infielder Chris Johnson, son of Norfolk manager Ron Johnson. Chris Johnson has eight years of major league experience with Cleveland, Atlanta, Houston, Arizona and Miami. Johnson was not on the initial list of additions.
The Orioles currently have 39 players on the 40-man roster. Shortstop J.J. Hardy, who is on the 60-day disabled list, may be added to the roster as early as Sept. 1.
Room will have to be made on the 40-man roster for Sisco and Alvarez. If the Orioles add Johnson when the Tides' season ends Sept. 4, he'll have to be placed on the 40-man roster because he also signed a minor league contract.
Rickard and Yacabonis, who had a 6.75 ERA in four games with the Orioles earlier this season, are both on the 40-man. Yacabonis was 4-0 with a 1.32 ERA and 11 saves in 41 games at Norfolk.
Left-hander Donnie Hart and right-hander Mike Wright are good bets to return. Because both were up with the team when right-hander Dylan Bundy took bereavement leave that ended Aug. 29, they are ineligible to return until they've been in the minors 10 days. They are not able to pitch for the Orioles until Sept. 8.
Once Norfolk's season ends, other pitchers who have been with the Orioles this season, including right-handers Alec Asher, Stefan Crichton and Gabriel Ynoa and left-hander Jayson Aquino, could also be considered. All are on the Orioles' 40-man roster.
Photo Credit: Kenya Allen/PressBox