navigation-background arrow-down-circle Reply Icon Show More Heart Delete Icon wiki-circle wiki-square wiki arrow-up-circle add-circle add-square add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up calendar-circle chat-bubble-2 chat-bubble check-circle check close contact-us credit-card drag menu email embed facebook-circle facebook-square facebook faq-circle faq film gear google-circle google-square google history home instagram-circle instagram-square instagram linkedin-circle linkedin-square linkedin load monitor Video Player Play Icon person pinterest-circle pinterest-square pinterest play readlist remove-circle remove-square remove search share sign-out star trailer trash twitter-circle twitter-square twitter youtube-circle youtube-square youtube

You have to have a valid membership to attend this event

You have to have a valid membership to attend this event

Police: Ravens' Kaare Vedvik Had No Recollection Of Assault, Robbery

September 4, 2018
Ravens rookie kicker Kaare Vedvik was out with some of his teammates in Fells Point Aug. 31, but he told the Ravens he has no recollection of how he wound up hours later assaulted, robbed and beaten in East Baltimore, according to a police report of the incident.

Vedvik was found near the 2000 block of Boone Street in the East Baltimore Midway neighborhood around 4 a.m. Sept. 1 suffering from what police that day described as "upper body wounds." He was taken to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

According to a police report, Vedvik told Ravens vice president of security Darren Sanders that he had been out with teammates earlier that evening in Fells Point, and when they were ready to leave, Vedvik "wanted to stay out longer with a couple of ladies that he was with."

According to the report, teammates called Vedvik at 3:09 a.m. and Vedvik told them everything was fine. Sanders told police that Vedvik told him he could not remember what happened after that, or how he ended up on Boone Street. He told Sanders that his wallet and phone were missing. 

Ravens coach John Harbaugh said at his Sept. 3 news conference that he visited Vedvik in the hospital and that Vedvik "had his face kind of stitched up." Harbaugh said investigators were hoping to use using video surveillance for clues. 

"I think he was very thankful for the fact that he's OK," Harbaugh said. "He's going to be fine. That's the most important thing."

The incident happened hours before the Ravens had to make the final cuts to their 53-man roster. As a result, Vedvik was placed on the team's non-football-injury list. By the rules of that NFI list, Vedvik is prohibited from practicing for the first six weeks of the season but he does not count toward the 53-man roster.

Vedvik, undrafted out of Marshall, had an outstanding summer for the Ravens and had generated "plenty of trade talks," Harbaugh said. Vedvik made eight of nine field-goal attempts during preseason action and hit several field goals of 60 yards or more in training camp. He also punted 19 times for a 46.8-yard average in preseason play. 

Harbaugh said Vedvik's situation would serve as a cautionary tale for future players.

"My dad said nothing good ever happens after midnight, and it was well after midnight," Harbaugh said. "He'll be talking to the young guys next year, I guess. Be a little smarter, be a little more aware of your surroundings, don't be by yourself, and understand that there are people out there that have malign intentions, especially when you're a young guy, and maybe even if you're a Raven football player."

Follow Bo on Twitter @bsmolka    

Photo Credit: Kenya Allen/PressBox