On Aug. 3, former Ravens safety Ed Reed will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Check out some of Reed's best quotes from his football career.
"I'm hurt, dawg. Don't ask me if I'm all right. Hell naw! [Offensive lineman] Joaquin [Gonzalez] said dominate, and we not doin' it. I'm putting my heart in this shit, dawg. Let's go, man!"
During his famous halftime speech in the tunnel during the 2001 Miami-Florida State game
"I was like a kid in the candy store with no money. You can see the candy, but you just can't get it."
In 2002 after being stripped of the ball by Bengals receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh short of the end zone while showboating during an interception return
"I never was in jail. But I did some things that probably would have put me there."
- To The New Orleans Times-Picayune in 2002 about his difficult upbringing (via ESPN The Magazine)
"Women know guys read Cosmo. You know what I'm talking about? That magazine? You don't read it? I bought it last night for the first time."
- Chatting with linebacker Adalius Thomas during practice in a "Ravens Wired" segment
"My family will really appreciate this. So would my brother. My brother would want us to beat Pittsburgh."
- In the locker room in January 2011 after he was given the game ball following the Ravens' wild-card playoff win against the Kansas City Chiefs just days after his brother Brian's death
"I've got ... two tickets to paradise!"
- After winning the AFC championship game in 2013 ... and at the Super Bowl XLVII send-off rally ... and the Super Bowl XLVII championship parade ... and his Ring of Honor induction ... and probably somewhere else as you're reading this
"This game was like this season. It started good, it got ugly and it ended great. ... I've never been so happy to do interviews!"
- During his Super Bowl XLVII postgame news conference
"It's not so much as leaving, because like I said, I'm going to be part of the community, and I'm going to be part of this community. Now, it's my family. It is hard, but like I said, football is a small chapter in our lives. Eleven years is a great book and the way it ended, you can't write a better script."
- During his 2013 introductory news conference after signing with the Houston Texans
"I tried to get three days. Ozzie [Newsome] only gave me one. I'm like, 'Ozzie, we need to negotiate this a little bit. Let me get three days, or maybe even one year!'" ... "Ozzie, when I did sign that contract I did look for a number."
- During his retirement news conference in 2015 when he signed a one-day contract to retire as a Raven
Photo Credit: Sabina Moran/PressBox
Issue 255: June/July 2019